Sunday, January 25, 2009

A room of my own, well only sorta’

I moved in with my home stay family today. Our house is 242 steps down from the main road, a hop over the water pipe (it is cracked, so a giant hop over the pipe and the puddle), and around the corner from the laundry drying bush, next to the bakery. To find me you could just follow the smell of the bakery that the family owns. Or ask in town, there are at least 20 people who watch me as I climb up and down the stairs, judging if I will make it without taking a break ( I never take breaks). My room is just off the living room and kitchen. I can come and go as I please, and so can the rest of the family. My bathroom is used by my host mother to do laundry, and my room doubles as the family alter. Correction, 1/4 of my room is the family alter, and it always smells like incense which is lovely really. I sleep on a Tibetan carpet and it is comfortable enough, it is easy to sleep in mountain air so it doesn’t matter if the bed is hard.

We had breakfast together this morning, and as far as I can tell I have five siblings all younger than me, three, maybe four uncles, a father and a mother. Pretty lucky. I like them, and they are going to cook for me and do my laundry so it is going to be pretty easy living.

Tomorrow I have class for the first time, I am teaching a beginning and intermediate English class for two hours every day. The class is about 25 students of all ages, I am petrified. Armed with some tongue twisters and conversations topics I am going to go see what I can do with the hour that I am given. We will see…

1 comment:

  1. If they are anything like the Thais, they will make me a walking stick when I come visit.

    ReplyDelete