Monday, February 2, 2009

Graceland

I came home late in the afternoon humming Graceland, I was thinking about the shower I so desperately needed and was seconds from taking. There and been no water for two days and I was on a mission so I went right to my room without stopping to say hello to the family in the other room. A two minute lukewarm shower has never felt so great. I was happy, warmish, and cleanish, it was dinner time and I smelled garlic, so life was good.

Pushing aside the door hanging I went in to see my family. A monk was sitting with them talking. I was introduced to Rinpoche, he would like to learn English. I say that I can teach him, and I look over at my host father and mother and they are very pleased. Rinpoche believes that I can get special clearance to go to his office, I say I think that would be fine if someone would show me how to get there. We agree to have lessons every other day. It is a lot of work for me, but my parents are beaming so, I can’t help but to agree. My father, Rinpoche, and I eat dinner together in the living room.

When Rinpoche leaves my father looks at me and says, “very good, Rinpoche is one of the high lamas, and he is so good, and so well respected, that the Dalai Lama has given him an office in his private residence. This is very good for you, he is such a kind and happy man he will look over you as you look over his education.” The rest of the family ate dinner and discussed our visitor.

I went to bed thinking, what am I going to teach to a high lama? But, like my father said, I felt as if I was being looked over.

1 comment:

  1. this is my favorite on your blog......keep blogging

    ReplyDelete