Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Top 5 Favorite things about life in McLeod Ganj (this week)

1.Concerned citizens. In this small hill station the roads are as you would guess very narrow so the concerned drivers of the world honk their horn when their bumper is 5 feet from hitting me. It has occurred to me that by the time they honk the horn it would be too late for me to move anyway but I appreciate the concern.

2.Steep hills and endless steps, it is hard to be nervous for an interview when I have just had to climb up the mountain and am more concerned about catching my breath.

3.“yak cheese” in Tibet dried yak cheese is an enormously popular snack. Here there are no yaks and I have been assured no yak products so when the vendors ask me Hello, yak cheese? And show me a string of, what look like fermented marshmallows I am interested…

4.My Amala (mother) who daily warns me about Kashmir men and reminds me that everything begins with Chai. I am wondering if she knows something about the secret powers of chai that have so far escaped me, after all it is not red wine!

5.When asked where my office is the best way to describe it is to say “ across the street from the bushes that everyone likes to pee on,” the location is pinpointed immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment