Monday, February 23, 2009

Saturday Afternoon

By noon on Saturday I am ready go get moving, the sun is shinning, and I have the day off from work, Julia and I walk down to lower Dharamshala to buy some fabric to get some clothes made. After two hours of pretending to be very high fashion and fabulous we went for lunch, and then to the bus station go get a ride back up the hill. A jeep with 12 people in it heading to Dharamshala, passed us by, we figured we would get the next one since that one was full. We were naive to think 12 passengers equates to “full,” the jeep reversed and came back for us.

The driver hopped out, ran around the car, opened the door, and shoved us in. It didn’t matter, no. 13 and 14 were happy to be on their way. Then the driver made and unexpected stop for petrol and (2 more passengers, 16 total). For “safety” he filled an extra container of petrol and loaded it on to Julia’s lap. And so we made our way back from of fashion excursion, me sitting on the lap of a woman half my size, Julia with a petrol can on her lap. Trying not to laugh—but not succeeding in hiding my amusement I paid the driver 5 rupees = .oo1, thinking all the while that the experience would have been a steal at 10X the price.

I am counting this as a point for the foreign ladies, the score is now
FL 2 :India 1,000,000

2 comments:

  1. SARAH! I had no idea you had a blog, i will make it a routine to check it every Monday and whenever I have extra time! I am buying a daily planner and will write (MONDAY- CHECK SARAH'S BLOG AND COMMENT!) This is amazing...your cultural adventures are crazy. when my sister Marie was in Africa, she was often stuck on buses with 20 people on them, and one time she was sitting next to this lady whose goat was on the roof of the bus and it fell off and marie just said in a very broken african dialect, GO-AT! GO-AT! and pointed to the road behind them. the bus came to an abrupt stop and the driver got out and took the goat by its tied legs and flung it back on the roof. The lady next to Marie, aka the owner of the goat, started crying and thanking Marie, from what i believe, the bottom of her heart! I NEED TO COME VISIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah,
    I suspect you accounting is a little harsh....seems to me points scored by the FL should be worth more.......I mean you are playing an away game.......

    ReplyDelete