Monday, March 9, 2009

You’re a journalist? “Sure!”

I am not sure what the deal is but I am owning this idea of “India time”, the problem seems to be that “Tibetan time” is more exact. It is fine I am usually just means that I have to run places. Yesterday I am late….again, and this time it is for His Holiness. Charging through the metal detector (pvc piping that sometimes beeps) I am ushered into bag/pat down room where they try to take my cell phone and camera from me. I explain that I have this card and the security guard asks me , “ you are a journalist, you should have told me that first.” I thought, well maybe I cold have told you if it had occurred to me, but instead said “sure, next time” and took the promotion.

Inside the temple I walked right up the main stairs to where all the camera jockeys were standing and pulled out my very mini point and shoot. From behind there foot long lenses I knew what the other journalists were thinking, but whatever, must start somewhere; so I snapped away and got some decent enough shots.

After the prays HHDL walks right past me, such a thrill then I get pushed from behind by this Associated Press (AP) Bit** and the action continued (journalism I am learning is a lot like water polo, pushing and pinching are allowed as long as the ref. doesn’t see). Following His Holiness through the crowd I look to my left and I am walking beside my student Rinpoche, he is so happy to see me “hard at work” he says. He asks if I will be coming into the palace for the religious conference, I say that I don’t think I have the clearance and go to get in the “press” line, just in case. They have my name on the list and I am correspondent #75, sweet! I go through an even more extensive pat down and bag check and line up against the wall with the other members of the press.

They are all in a bit of a GRUMP-- I decide that I should share some gum and make some small talk, they are mildly amused. Rinpoche walks by and gives me a huge smile and a high five, he said “Yeah you are here, you made it in.” Instantly I have some more street cred. They have telephoto lenses and cigarettes, I have a high fiving Rinpoche pall and bubble gum.

The rest of the day continues, in the usual manor, I stand 20 feet from HHDL as he addresses the high reincarnations and religious leaders---ya know.
I have changed houses, I moved down the hill into my friends apartment. I was sad to leave the family but living with my 6 friends, (all sleeping on one giant mattress) is too much fun to pass up, it is as we say “a sweet sweet time in our lives.”

That’s all from D/shala, I am healthy, not at all wealthy, and getting wiser day by day.

Love
Rah

3 comments:

  1. Street cred is by far the best way to go with HHDL. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah....is street cred a budist concept?......we need more pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out about your blog from your mom - so fun to read about your work and your days, and to see your pictures, which are wonderful. I hope you get a chance to go up to the Tibetan school/orphanage, if you have not already done so. It is an amazing place and will give you hope that the culture and values of Tibet will live on. I look forward to your future postings.

    ReplyDelete